Thursday, April 5, 2012

"Checking in with the Champions" Kenny Gaines Interview

Blue Collar Basketball will be visiting with a player off of the five different State Championship teams across the State of Georgia.  We stopped in first with Single A Champion Whitefield Academy Star Kenny Gaines. The 6'3 Shooting Guard will be playing for Coach Mark Fox at the University of Georgia in the SEC next year. He was the Single A Class State Player of the Year. Gaines averaged 25.2ppg, 7.6rpg, and 2.6spg while leading Whitefield to a 29-3 record. Listen in to what KG had to say about what winning a State Championship meant to him, why he chose UGA, and what he has learned during his high school days.

BCB: Blue Collar Basketball
KG: Kenny Gaines

BCB: Kenny, Congrats on winning the State Championship! Tell us about that feeling and what it meant to you and your HS career.
KG: It felt like a dream come true. Since my sophomore year losing in the State Finals, I had to make sure I got that feeling [I witnessed] Wesleyan had. I put it above all the individual accomplishments I had with winning the Dunk Contest and Player of the Year honors. The loss to Terrell County in the Final 4 my junior year really drove me in the off-season before my senior season.

BCB: I've been in on your practices at Whitefield Academy. Coach Johnson is a demanding coach. What do you think you learned the most from him?
KG: Definitely playing with heart and with that dog. You learn that if you're not willing to sacrifice time, rest, things like that, then you don't need to be out here. You have to always play with passion.

BCB: Besides having talented players like yourself and sophomores such as Lorenzo[Carter] and Eric [Lockett], what made this team special?
KG: The fact that everyone sacrificed for each other. Something we did and it sounds small, but we all as a team gave up sweets like ice cream and candy for the entire year. We trusted each other and understood each other.

BCB: What are you going to miss the most about high school?
KG: Being in an environment where everyone is looking out for my best interest. Talking about the faculty, staff, administration, coaches, students.

BCB: You're going to be headed to Athens later this summer to play for the University of Georgia and coach Mark Fox. What attracted you to UGA and their program?
KG: The style of play and the fact that I felt like I had a good connection with the coaches. And God kind of led me there. My mom and I were praying about it together and about 5 minutes later, Coach Fox called and we took it as a sign from God that that is where we were being led.

BCB: Has UGA talked to you about their plans for you next year as a Freshman? If so, what are they?
KG: To just play hard and buy into the system. Not really any specifics. I'll be reporting to campus on June 9th to start training.

BCB: For UGA fans out there and people that have never seen you play, tell them what they're getting in you as a player?
KG: A very exciting and explosive athlete. You may see my smiling but really just an exciting Shooting guard to watch play.

BCB: What advice would you give a young kid in the 8th or 9th grade about high school, considering stuff you enjoyed or mistakes you made?
KG: I would tell them grades are important from the get-go. I didn't take heed to that immediately from the start. I would also say to keep your parents involved-they can help guide you during tough times. Don't lose the fun in playing-you can be competitive, play hard and still have fun out there.

BCB: Who was the best player you played against in high school, AAU?
KG: In high school, Josh Swan from Pace Academy (now at Southern Illinois).  In AAU, probably Kyle Anderson (UCLA bound SF from New Jersey).

BCB: If I asked the 5 closest people to you (family or friends) about you, what would they say?
KG: They would say I'm lame. I'm a laid back person (laughs).

BCB: What will Kenny Gaines be doing ten years from now?
KG: If you don't see me in the league, I'll probably own a retail store somewhere in Atlanta.

BCB: Kenny, we wish you the best and all the success at UGA on and off the court. We know you will do well and look forward to watching your development.

No comments:

Post a Comment