Monday, April 9, 2012

"Checking in with the Champions" Tahj Shamsid-Deen Interview

Blue Collar Basketball checked in with the Columbia Eagles starting PG Tahj Shamsid-Deen. He was the floor general for the 31-1 Eagles, who won their impressive third straight State Championship. Tahj is a high-major PG prospect who really knows how to run a team. He averaged 15ppg, 10apg, and 3spg. The Southpaw has been a starter on all three of the State Championship teams with a combined 3yr record of 89-9. We covered a variety of topics including this year's state championship team, some of the best PGs he has faced, Columbia High School, and his current recruitment.

BCB: Blue Collar Basketball
TSD: Tahj Shamsid-Deen

BCB: Tahj, you've been the starting point guard on three straight State Championship teams. What an accomplishment! Tell us about this year's team and championship.
TSD: We weren't as big in the post as the year before. We had to get up and down a little more-use our speed and quickness. In the championship game, we had to take advantage of our size inside with our big man Jhaustin Thomas (South Carolina football signee).

BCB: You guys lose a lot off this year's team-top four guys at the 4 and 5 spots. How will you all replace that or will you have to play a different style?
TSD: Talking with Coach, we will play more of a 4 out 1 in most likely. We will try to force more turnovers with our defense to create some scoring opportunities.

BCB: Who's the best PG or player you have faced in your high school career?
TSD: My freshman year we played Oak Hill Academy. They had Deron Lamb(Kentucky), and Pe'shon Howard(Maryland). I'd have to say those guys.

BCB: What's it like playing for Coach McCray? What makes him such a successful coach?
TSD: He really puts an emphasis on defense! The majority of our practice is working on slides and angles, cutting off guys. We have the talent to score points but his emphasis on defense is what he is about.

BCB: Your playing with a strong Southern Stampede team this summer in AAU on the EYBL circuit. What do you want to improve on the most?
TSD: Using my right hand more, finishing with my right. Also, working on my free throws. I didn't shoot free throws well toward the end of this past year so I need to improve on that.

BCB: Tahj- a lot of people don't know how good a student you are sitting at a 3.95GPA and 1300 SAT. What do you attribute that to?
TSD: Just, I study a lot. Teachers at Columbia really help. There is lot of extra help and tutorials that I go to.

BCB: Who is recruiting you?
TSD: I have offers from Auburn, UCLA, and Northwestern and several others are calling or have come see me play.

BCB: What has the recruiting process been like? Most memorable thing?
TSD: It's been good and a lot of fun. A lot of coaches coming through and calling my coaches. The best experience was when I went down to Auburn for the Kentucky game. I got to see how strong and fast the college game was. It showed me what I needed to work on to get to that level.

BCB: What's most important to you in choosing a school and program?
TSD: A good relationship with the coach. A relationship that's been building. I want to go where they get up and down, play a fast-paced game and run the offense through the point guard.

BCB: If a coach walked into the gym and watched you play for the first time, what would he leave saying about your game?
TSD: Talk about how good a leader I am, a high IQ-knowing the time on clock and situations. He would say I'm a willing scorer and willing passer.

BCB: If we talked to the 5 closest people to you (family and/or friends), what would they say about Tahj?
TSD: That I'm quiet and keep to myself. That I like to laugh and am laid back cool dude. They would say I keep my head on straight!

Tahj, thanks for stopping in with Blue Collar Basketball to give us some insight into you, Columbia basketball, and the future that lays ahead for you. We wish you the best and keep working hard in the classroom and on the court!

No comments:

Post a Comment