Friday, December 16, 2011

Eddie Martin, GAC, Interview

Blue Collar Basketball visited Greater Atlanta Christian Thursday to visit with Coach Eddie Martin after their practice. The Spartans were preparing for their upcoming game against Decatur High School.  Coach Martin is in his fourth year at GAC and 30th overall as a head coach in Georgia high school basketball. Coach Martin spent 20 years at Brookwood High School and 6 years at Norcross before being hired at GAC in 2008 after his 3rd consecutive State Championship at Norcross.  Martin is currently sitting at 613 career wins and 5 state championships heading into Friday's contest vs. Decatur.

BCB: Blue Collar Basketball
EM: Eddie Martin


1)      BCB: How did you get started in Coaching?  Always know you wanted to coach?
      EM: "No, I didn't know I always wanted to coach. When I first went to college, I had no thoughts of coaching. Then in my junior year, when you have to decide on a major, I decided to do education and I always enjoyed sports, especially basketball and baseball."


2)      BCB: Where do you draw most of your coaching influence and philosophy from?
 EM: "When I first started out, I did a lot of what my high school coach had done. As you grow, I would take bits and pieces from coaching clinics. And then just understand what works best for my team and the kids you coach."


3)      BCB: What do you like your teams to be known for? If asking your players, what would they say you are about on the court?
EM: "Two things. 1) Solid on defense, knowing how to play defense.  2) Team concept on offense. It's not a one man show and that you share the ball."


4)      BCB: How do you feel about this year’s team?
EM:  "I like this team right now. We have gotten better and really improved and I think we have a chance."
 
5)      BCB: Coaching, particularly in-season, can be very demanding of your time, how do you find balance between your job and personal (family) time?
 EM: "When the kids were younger, they would come to practice with me. They would go scouting with me. They were always a part of it. Living close to the school was also important which I had while coaching at Brookwood. Having a supportive wife who understands the time commitment it takes to try to be successful and doesn't mind me being gone is very important as well."


6)      BCB: What has been your favorite coaching memory?
EM: "There isn't just one thing. Coaching both my kids(Clint and Brent) was special, at least for me (laughs), maybe not for them. And winning the state championships, one not meaning more than any other."


7)      BCB: What do love most about Coaching? What do you dislike the most?
EM: "Competing, putting your team up against someone else's team. I'm too old to play in a men's league so that ability to compete is what I love. Dislike-the bus rides, late nights, no sleep."


8)      BCB: What attributes do you like the most and value the most in a player?
EM: "Being coachable. And having good morals - they're not going to be angels and will make mistakes. But I don't won't to deal with a bad attitude."


9)      BCB: Has your coaching style/philosophy changed over the years? If so, how and why?
 EM: "We've always been primarily a man-man defensive team, even though this year's team has played more zone. I like transition offense. Not looking for a game in the 30s, 40s even though I know some coaches might need to do that for their team. It's not as fun for the kids and fans. The biggest change over the years for me is giving more freedom in the motion offense. I don't run as many sets or continuity as we use to."

      BCB: How has Georgia HS basketball changed in your time as a Coach?
      EM: "The level of talent is a lot better and the coaching is a lot better. Georgia and Atlanta is a hotbed for college basketball recruiting."
     BCB: You've coached several high-major players and 3 NBA guys recently. What qualities do they possess that makes them special players?
     EM: "They had a combination of good ability and good work ethic. But number one, they're better kids than players. And secondly, they were all coachable-they all were probably capable of scoring 30 points a game but I don't think we had any average more than 20 or 21 points a game. They got their teammates involved."

     BCB: You coached for over 20 years had over 350, 400 wins, been to the final 4 and state championship game before you won your first state championship. What advice would you have for a coach who has been close but can't quite get over the hump?
s    EM: "Be patient, stick to your guns. It's elusive but winning that first one, it was probably more enjoyable because of how long you had to wait. To win a state championship, you have to have good players, stay healthy, and have a little bit of luck."

     BCB: Coach Martin, thanks for your time and letting Blue Collar Basketball take a peek into GAC basketball. We wish you the best of luck the rest of the season as you go for your third consecutive AA championship!

s

No comments:

Post a Comment